Looking for someone to write thoughtful, well-written commentary or blog posts from a unique perspective? Or are you looking for an expert on living, working and parenting abroad in an African continental context?
Maybe you’re looking for someone to write insightful and enticing copy for your website.
Either way, you’re in the right place!
My name is Kaylan Reid Shipanga and I’m an American writer based in the southern African nation of Namibia. I’m the Founder and Editor-In-Chief of this site, African American In Africa, the globally recognized online hub for Black travel and expat life in Africa. My education and professional background are in journalism and I’ve worked in broadcast, print and online media in both the U.S. and Namibia.
I’ve also written for popular travel websites like Matador Network and have been featured on others like The Black Expat. And since becoming a mother, I’ve written several pieces for the parenting website, Baby Gaga.
Topics I write passionately about:
- Living In Africa As An Expat
- Volunteering And Teaching Abroad
- African Travel
- Black Travel
- African Diaspora Relations
- Cultural Adjustment
- Intercultural Relationships
- Motherhood Abroad
- Black Motherhood
- Black Women
- Race and Ethnicity
- Life Paths
- Freelance Writing
Click here to see my complete writing portfolio.
Or scroll down for a few samples of my work around the web:
Living Abroad In Africa:
- My Black American Childhood In 1970s-1980s Liberia
- African American Educator On Life, Love, And Repatriation Work In Ghana
- Life As A Black Expat In Africa Is No Utopia
- Turn Up The Heat: How Living Abroad In Africa Taught Me How To Cook
- Keep Calm! How Raising My Infant In Namibia Forced Me To Relax
- International Relationships: When A New Yorker Falls In Love With A Namibian
- Diaspora Love: Overcoming The Challenges Of Marrying Into My Husband’s Namibian Tribe
Volunteering And Teaching Abroad:
- What I Wish I Knew Before Teaching Abroad In Namibia, Africa
- How To Turn A Volunteer Position Into A Career In Africa
Race And Ethnicity:
Ready to bring me onto your team? Email me at Kaylan@aainafrica.com and include any questions you may have.
I look forward to working with you,