Looking for someone to write thoughtful, well-written commentary or blog posts from a unique perspective? Or are you looking for an expert on living, working, volunteering, and parenting abroad in Africa?
Maybe you need someone to write insightful and enticing copy for your website.
Either way, you’re in the right place!
My name is Kaylan Reid Shipanga and I’m an American writer based in the Southern African nation of Namibia. I’m the Founder and Editor-In-Chief of this site, African American In Africa, the globally recognized online hub for Black travel and expat life in Africa. My education and professional background are in journalism and I’ve worked in broadcast, print, and online media in both the U.S. and Namibia.
I’ve also written for popular travel websites like Matador Network and GoAbroad.com and have been featured on others like The Black Expat. And since becoming a mother, I’ve written parenting articles for blogs such as mater mea and Baby Gaga.
Topics I write passionately about:
- Living in Africa as an Expat
- International Education
- Volunteering and Teaching Abroad
- Gap Year Travel
- African Travel
- Black Travel
- African Diaspora Relations
- Cultural Adjustment
- Intercultural Relationships
- Motherhood Abroad
- Black Motherhood
- Black Women
- Race and Ethnicity
- Life Paths
- Freelance Writing
Click here to see my complete writing portfolio.
Or scroll down for a few samples of my work around the web:
Living Abroad in Africa:
- My Black American Childhood In 1970s-1980s Liberia
- African American Educator On Life, Love, And Repatriation Work In Ghana
- Life As A Black Expat In Africa Is No Utopia
- Finding Myself As A New Mother In Namibia
- 17 Surprising Things About Parenting In Namibia
- Turn Up The Heat: How Living Abroad In Africa Taught Me How To Cook
- Keep Calm! How Raising My Infant In Namibia Forced Me To Relax
- 11 Tech Tips To Make Your Transition Into Africa Easier
- Want To Move To Africa And Be Your Own Boss? Then You Need This Book
- 7 Cultural Festivals You Don’t Want To Miss In Mozambique
- Sailing With Hippos In Namibia: My Stay At Popa Falls Resort
- The Light Of The Sun: How To Survive Hot African Weather
- How To Decide Which African Country To Visit First And How Much You Should Save
International Education & Travel:
- A Guide To Taking A Gap Year
- A Guide To Gap Year Volunteering
- Why Take A Gap Year?
- Help Me Plan My Gap Year! Pretty Please?
- A Guide To Taking A Journalism Gap Year
- A Guide To A Medical Gap Year
- The Busy (but Big-Hearted) Person’s Guide to All Things Volunteer in Africa
- What I Wish I Knew Before Teaching Abroad In Namibia, Africa
- How To Turn A Volunteer Position Into A Career In Africa
- Marrying Into My Husband’s Tribe And Learning To Honor My True Self
- International Relationships: When A New Yorker Falls In Love With A Namibian
- Diaspora Love: Overcoming The Challenges Of Marrying Into My Husband’s Namibian Tribe
Race and Ethnicity:
- Traveling To Africa For The First Time As An African American
- Confronting White Privilege As A Black Expat In Namibia
- On Being Told, “You’re Not African.”
Ready to bring me onto your team? Shoot me an email at Kaylan@aainafrica.com and include any questions you may have.
I look forward to working with you!